I usually don’t write these kinds of posts, the ones where I talk about a book I loved without it being a review. I’m a book blogger, I should be good at this I know but I’m so not. My last post was about And I Darken and why you should read it and I’m starting to think that fierce female leads are rare to find but when you do find one, it’s on!
As a bookworm, I love reading book series, the more books, the better for me but once in a while I just need one good book to read and not have to wait like a year for the next one, and more specifically a YA fantasy book. YA standalone fantasy books are as rare as a YA books not mentioning someone “growling” a response or a protagonist not having a unique shade of eye color (why is that still a thing?!).
YA books usually have a pattern and it goes like this:
- Girl meets another boy at some point
Boys might be related
- Both boys definitely hate each other
- Girl has to choose at some point
- BUT NOT ON THE FIRST BOOK WAIT
- ADD A CLIFFHANGER AT THE END OF THE FIRST BOOK
- Now you gotta buy the next one *evil laugh*
- *spoiler alert* Girl doesn’t chose a boy in the second one either, gotta keep the readers guessing and all that
- Oooops maybe she chose wrong
- Choose again girl!
- Might chose on the third one?
- FOURTH BOOK COMING OUT YOU DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING DID YA
- In case I failed to mention it so far ALL THE PARENTS ARE DEAD YALL THESE KIDS ARE GOING WILD
- Might be one parent left alive for an emotional last scene before they finally die after persuading the protagonist to FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND GET THE OTHER PROTAGONIST AND KISS
- But keep it PG, this is YOUNG adult after all
- Might include a wedding because the readers are most definitely not teens anymore after decades of these series being published
- You want to wrap this up? I’M GONNA LEAVE STUFF IN THE AIR FOR POTENTIAL SPIN OFFS DUHHHH
- Loved this character? THEIR BOOK COMING OUT NEXT CENTURY *Click here to be notified when it goes live*
*deep movie trailer voice* In a world where we have to wait years upon years for THE FINAL BOOK, Sky in the Deep was a refreshing standalone that did not follow the same pattern. This is a family-centered Young Adult, heavily influenced by the Vikings, fantasy book that at its core features a sibling bond. *gets chills just describing this without mentioning love triangles and love in general omg* Sky in the Deep did everything Young Adult Fantasy avoids like the plague:
- skipped the love triangle
- skipped the insta-love *I’m crying people*
- relied heavily on brotherly love and family bond
- didn’t info dump
- we got parental figures who are not assholes
- didn’t stretch it with more books *🎉🎉🎉🎉* although I’d totally read more books just fyi
- got straight to the fucking point *my ghost is typing this..*
- perfect standalone
- Fiske *yes, Fiske needs to be a thing on YA from now on, TAKE NOTES AUTHORS*
- IRI *same*
- action scenes but also small village life with badass viking elements
- heroine that despite being badass in the battlefield is also smart AF
Obviously I loved this, I wish there was more, as much as loved this being a standalone I know I will be thinking about it for some time and that’s so refreshing in itself, knowing this is it and I don’t have to wait for another one, I can go back to re-reading immediately. I urge you to give this one a chance and if you have any YA fantasy standalone recommendations let me know so I can cry happy tears!