It’s almost Valentine’s Day, by far the most dreadful time of the year for me, I used to work as a florist and it’s a traumatizing day for sure. But, bookish wise it’s the best! Today’s topic is a freebie so I chose to talk about OTPs, because really, you can never have too many OTP discussions.
If you’re not new here then you know all about my ships, and my favorite book boyfriends (I recently did a post about Unrealistic Boyfriend Expectations too) and I got a lot of them and I love them so freaking much! I always talk about my ships and new ships I find, but I never talk about the process of having a new OTP and what I usually (and most of us I think) do when a fictional pair takes over our life and it essentially becomes e v e r y t h i n g.
WHAT IS AN OTP:
One True Pairing. OTP is a perfect pairing between two fictional characters.
HOW AN OTP HAPPENS:
Okay, let’s get once thing out-of-the-way. OTPs are stupid. They do the stupidest things and they are the source of every fangirl’s pain and FEELS. SO MANY FEELS. No matter what you want your OTP to do, guess what, they do the fucking opposite to torture you. You’re just minding your own business, binge watching or reading and all of a sudden these two fictional characters that barely interact with each other mean more to you than everything else. This is not ok.
HOW AN OTP FUNCTIONS:
- *just been here for 2”*
- *never interacted with each other*
- *okay, just interacted for 0.0000001 second*
- *in a staring contest to eternity*
- lots of eye rolling
- insult each other ALL THE TIME
- except that one time
- *share a moment*
- *awkward silence for days*
- *just made eye contact moment*
- “Don’t even like each other.”
- *literally just being next to each other*
- *AN ETERNITY LATER share THE moment*
- (just look at him trying to contain his smile I just can’t *flails*)
- *the moment that kills you*
WHAT YOU DO ONCE YOU’VE DISCOVERED A NEW OTP:
- Mourn the life you’ve lost cause nothing is ever going to be the same
- BINGE EVERYTHING AGAIN BUT FOCUS ON OTP!111!!!!
- Go on Twitter to share your OTP feels with others
- Go on Youtube and spend the rest of your life watching videos
- Go on Tumblr, the deep OTP feels
- Go back to binge watching
- Mix it up a bit
- Take a second to realize it’s only been less than 24 hours and you’ve watched all there’s to watch and now you’ve got nothing else to live for
- Go back on Youtube and repeat binging your favorites
- In the darkest moments, go hunting for fanfiction to satisfy your need for MORE OF THIS SHIP PLEASE AND THANK YOU
- If you’re lucky enough, get a new episode and DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HANDLE THIS
- Or, get a new book and CRY ALL THE TEARS BECAUSE ITS HAPPENING
HOW TO INTRODUCE OTHERS TO YOUR OTP:
- *innocently* “Have you read/watched this?”
- *randomly SHOUT your ship’s name and wait for a response*
- *impatiently wait for friend to read/watch*
- *while spamming them of course*
- *spamming them shamelessly with OTP because YOU NEED AN ANSWER but also to ship vicariously through them for the first time again*
- If you’re lucky, your friend will ship the OTP and then THIS FRIENDSHIP IS GOALS and you share everything you’ve got, initiating them into this dark, dark world
- Or, your friend doesn’t get the ship in which case you either act cool, “It’s not even that important” but cry on the inside, or you unfriend them. OTP is serious stuff.
- Repeat the above with every ship and OTP.
Aaaaand that’s it! That’s pretty much the gist of everything fangirls go through, more or less, whenever they have a new ship. OTP is a serious thing and a little friendly advice:
Do you have OTPs? How about OTP? Yes, there’s a difference! *duh*